There are two things that I try not to do on iPhone J.D.: (1) post rumors. (2) post anything on Saturday. But I'm breaking both of those rules because of the importance of this rumor and the reputation of the sources. The respected Wall Street Journal and other sources are unequivocally reporting that on Tuesday, January 11 at 11:00 Eastern, Verizon will announce that it is starting to carry the iPhone. Get more info here:
- The original Wall Street Journal story
- The New York Times confirms the rumor
- John Paczkowski of All Things D claims that Steve Jobs will appear at the event on Tuesday
- Paul Miller of Engadget's "everything you need to know" post
- BGR claims to have confirmed that Apple Store employees are not being allowed to take vacations from February 3 to February 6. Perhaps that is when the Verizon iPhone will be available?
- Alan of Art of the iPhone posts a picture of the invitation to the Verizon event
- John Gruber of Daring Fireball explains why the event will be hosted by Verizon, not Apple
I suspect that all of us know people who say that the only reason that they haven't purchased an iPhone is that they want to stay with Verizon. We'll find out in a few days if these rumors are true, and if so, Verizon customers will have a tough choice: do you get a Verizon iPhone 4 now, or do you wait for the 2011 version of the iPhone, which presumably will be introduced in June or July, as has been the case in prior years. That's a really tough choice.